Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Hints and Tips for Satin Stitching

Kay Lynn asked for some advice on how to make her satin stitches really neat and tidy.  Here is the advice Barbara gave on the subject.  

Here is what I do for counted satin stitching:
Try to use the same color thread for the double running stitches that surround the satin stitched area.  Work padding stitches in the opposite direction first, then work your top satin stitches over these.
I have attached a couple stitch diagrams that I hope help.





*Note that the padding stitches are not satin stitched in the attached diagram - follow the numbers, up at number 17, down at number 18, and so on.
Sometimes I cover the outlined double running stitches, sometimes I don't.  Just depends on the effect I want.  If you don't want it that "puffy", use less padding stitches, maybe between every other linen thread.

You do not have to surround an area with double running stitches in order to work an area of counted satin stitches.  As long as you use the padding stitches, they turn out alright.  Experiment and see which way you like best.  I personally like a larger area to have the double running stitches first.  It makes the edge so much tidier and the threads arrange neatly.

I use one ply of silk in my needle.  For the final or top rows of the satin stitched motif, when I am working on 40 count linen or larger, I usually place two satin stitches in each hole, repeating the stitch. This also depends on the type of silk I am using.  Some threads are thicker than others.  If you use more than one ply in your needle, be sure to use a laying tool so the threads lay neatly side by side.

Also see Mary Corbet's blog for embroidered satin stitch:

http://www.needlenthread.com/tips-techniques

http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/11/satin-stitch-video-tutorial.html


Cheers!

Barbara

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful.

Theresa said...

Wow, this is great! I was having
such a hard time with the satin stitching on the Sarah Limah,
am going to try this.

THANKS! : )

Kevin said...

Thanks for sharing this! I am definitely going to try this on a few small projects I have here requiring satin stitch. I must confess, I haven't really liked the way my previous satin stitches turned out. I think this technique sounds great!