Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Sunday, 28 July 2013

Update on Mayt Eaton

I have been working diligently on Mary, but the satin stitch leaves really take a long time. It can be very frustrating trying to get them uniform. Several of them, I have done as many as 3 times. Eventually I just give up and leave them as they are.

Here is a closeup of the stitches.


This was a kit, so I used the materials included, but I really wish I had swapped out the gold color for something a tad darker. The letters in particular, don't show up very well.

It always takes me a while to get used to the "sparse" look that a single strand of silk has on 30 count linen.

The large flowers, vine, border and alphabet are done in cross stitch. The leaves are all in satin stitch, and the saw-toothed white border in done in counted satin stitch.

Here is the whole thing so far.

 
 (You wouldn't know it was my stitching if it didn't have some part of Furry in it)!
As soon as I get ready to take the picture, he jumps up!


11 comments:

Margotatau said...

Lovely. The leaves are pretty in satin stitch. I am sure their character will shine when you are finished. Stitching and cats go together I am sure.

Lisa said...

It is lovely and definitely worth all of the trouble!

Sabrina Fechtel said...

It is so pretty! I live it :)

JoAnn said...

Erica: I know exactly how you feel regarding the gold lettering.
I felt the same way when stitching Margaret Mathews (SAN Summer 2000).
After having her framed and still not liking the bland look another stitcher showed me a Belle Soie floss (Cinnamon Stick) that stitches up beautifully when you need a darker gold. I wasn't about to unframe her and do the verse over, but I did go out and purchase the Belle Soie just to have on hand in the event I stitched another sampler with gold lettering.

Your satin stitched leaves are beautiful and when your sampler is framed the leaves will shine through as they do now.

Vera said...

Very, very pretty -- both the stitching and your cat - lol. I do love the colours in this one. Even the gold, though pale, is very pretty.

Bethany said...

I find once a sampler is on the wall, the stitches that we worked so hard to make perfect, don't even show. I only worry now, if I am going to enter it in a competition. Enjoy stitching Mary. It looks like my cat Cindy has a buddy.

Nicola said...

I have a sampler on my wall that I have to catch in a certain light to see the gold lettering. I always wished I had changed it before it was stretched and framed.

I love you stitching friend.

JoAnn said...

I just had a sampler framed that I didn't care for the gold lettering. A stitching friend showed me a Belle Soie floss that makes gold lettering look very nice. If you should want to check it out the color is Cinnamon Stick. I did and I will use it the next time a pattern calls for gold lettering.

Cindy L said...

Erica, your satin stitched leaves are perfect! Such a lovely sampler.

Scarlet Letter said...

Having worked with the original sampler I can assure you that your satin stitch leaves look a lot better than Mary's did. They look a lot better than mine as well!

MoonBeam said...

Your start is beautiful. Love the border. And, yes, sometimes those satin stitches can be pesky. Good luck as you go forward.

Bobbi