Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 6 July 2013

The Last Runaway

Wonderful veggies this summer!  The photo was taken yesterday and shows barely a quarter of the "orto".

My post tonight is to suggest a good book, THE LAST RUNAWAY by Tracy Chevalier, who has written many amazing historic novels including "The Girl with the Pearl Earring".  Her newest book traces the journey of a young Quaker girl from England to America- Ohio- and how she manages to survive the death of her sister from yellow fever, finding comfort and sustenance in her needlework skills.  It reminds me of Hester Prynne, only 200 years later.  The novel is set in 1850. I'm only a few chapters in so no spoilers here, but needlewomen will appreciate it and it sheds new light on how needlework skills were highly valued in previous centuries. Another great book is 'Catherwood" by Marly Youmans.  Must read for anyone interested in life in early 17th century New England.  Marly is a friend of mine and all of her books, and poems, are pure magic.

14 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Will add The Runaway to my reading list--am always on the search for a good book.

Stitch Wizard said...

It sounds really good Marsha!! Thank you for sharing! :)

Krista said...

How interesting, will add it to my list! Thanks!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi there....just popping in....I have just started The Last Runaway too....what a fabulous read it is turning out to be!

Vera said...

Thanks for the recommendations -- have added both to my list. Your garden looks fabulous!! Our peppers are now coming in and onions too!!

Bethany said...

I always love seeing photo's from you home and garden. Sure wish we lived closer or I could get mom to take a road trip when I am in Ohio. Thank you for sharing and also the recommendation. I'll see if the library has a download copy.

Brenda in WI said...

Read Catherwood a couple of years ago and loved it. Wanted to read it again but couldn't remember the name of it. Thank you so much for giving me the info I needed so now I can read it again.

Cindy at Mountain Hollow said...

Your garden looks great and the book sounds like one that I will have to get. Thanks...

Pamela said...

Really enjoy Chevalier's books, but am not familiar with Marly Youman so am happy to have a new author to try. Thanks Ms. Green Thumb!

marly youmans said...

Thank you! Love to see more Scarlet Letter news in the world!

Don't think I mentioned to you that Clive Hicks-Jenkins's illustrations to "Thaliad," one of my three 2012 books (eep, what a lot to manage), were inspired in part by American patchwork design.

xo Marly

Nicola said...

Thank you Marsha for the book recommendations, I have found The Last Runaway but am having trouble with Catherwood, I don't think there is an audio version.

marly youmans said...

Catherwood (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1996) is out of print but will be back in print in the coming year...

C Street Samplerworks said...

Thanks so much for the recommendations, Marsha! I'm always on the lookout for good books to read!

Peace & Love,
Fran

EvalinaMaria said...

Thank you Marsha. I've found The Last Runaway on the audible - what a great listening while working on Ann Kirby.

Ann Kirby Sampler is out of print and many stitchers are asking for it. (I found mine on the eBay...) Would you consider bringing it back? It's a very lovely sampler.