Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 30 July 2013

SDW Sampler Progress

After posting my last photo of my SDW Sampler progress I felt compelled to backtrack to the church band and get that completed before going forward.

I have veered off from the pattern and made some of my own architectural details..... I made the doors brown and I used a 3 x 2 cross stitch on the roof which I think gives it features that are reminiscent of old European churches... dark, wooden doors and a tiled roof.  I also picked up the pattern in the berry trees to the right and left of the church and used it to give the windows a stained-glass effect....

SDW Sampler

So now I can keep marching forward....I feel a finish is not so far away now!

I also just finished reading a wonderful book.... The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier.  It came recommended by Marsha on the Scarlet Letter Year Blog, so when I saw it on the shelf at my library it was my new pick!  A wonderful story about an English Quaker girl who travels to America to live in Ohio in 1850.  It is a perfect book for needleworkers, especially quilters, as there is so much detail about the craft.  I found it so interesting to learn more about Quaker life and religion.  Definitely two thumbs up!  Thanks for the recommendation, Marsha!  

Happy Stitching to all!  




14 comments:

Chris said...

It is looking amazing!!

JoAnn said...

Chris is right on. The changes you made are astounding. You make my SDW look bland. I wish I had your talent.

Sabrina Fechtel said...

Very pretty and such a testament of your fine needlework skills! It is so fun to watch these beautiful samplers come to life and using your creativity makes them our own :) BEAUTIFUL

Bethany said...

I love what you did with your sampler. It really did give your church the look of Old Europe. I can't wait to see what you decide to do with the rest of SDW.

C Street Samplerworks said...

Love the textured effect you have given to the roof of the church, and the windows are beautiful!

I just finished reading "The Last Runaway", too, and I enjoyed it immensely--couldn't put it down! So I also want to thank Marsha for the recommendation.

Peace & Love, Fran

Cindy L said...

Krista, love the changes you made. It will have such added meaning for you.

Nicola said...

What a brilliant idea for the windows Krista. I wish I had thought of that too.

I can feel that finish around the corner :o))

Faye said...

Love your updated version!!!! It's just beautiful Krista!!! And, thanks for the suggestion on the book....

Stitch Wizard said...

Your idea for the windows in pure genius Krista and so so beautiful too. It just really adds so much to this too. Gorgeous!!! You are very artistic!!!

Lanie said...

Beautiful, Krista! Love the stitches you have added. This is a magnificent sampler and I can't wait to see your finish!

Scarlet Letter said...

What you've done with the windows is gorgeous! I love it when needle workers add their own touches to a design. And I'm happy that you enjoyed the book. I was very surprised at the ending, with a Wisconsin connection. Anyone interested in Pilgrim era America really should read "Catherwood" by Marly Youmans.

MoonBeam said...

Your sampler is stunning. Nice work.

Sometimes I am timid about making changes on a design...your courage is freeing! Look forward to seeing your finish.

Bobbi

Anne said...

Gorgeous progress Krista! The church is so picture perfect!! I really love those grape like trees that are growing beside the church!

Rachel F said...

Lanie,
Your church details are so beautiful and add such nice texture and depth to it. I feel excited for your seeing how close to finished you are!