Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 6 July 2013

My antique samplers

Nicola had asked us to post any antique samplers we might have and I thought I would post 2 of "my girls".  Both have a lot of detail to them and they did use a variety of stitches. Mary did her's on fine hanky like linen and Maria did hers on 25 or 30 ct linen.   I just wish I knew the history of them.
We're headed to Beaufort NC to see Blackbeard's Museum so I packed a  Scarlet Letter's Eliza Hall of 1795 to take with and start. It's a miniature so will be easy to take.
I went to 2 book stores trying to get the book Marsha recommended but they didn't have it so ended up buying her other book Burning Bright takes place in 1792 London.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Martha S.




6 comments:

Bethany said...

What lovely samplers, thank you for sharing them with us. I love the sheep, large birds and small houses on Mary. The colors are also very nice. Aren't the blue cherub's interesting on Maria.

Nicola said...

Thank you Martha for the photos I have really enjoyed studying them. Both are beautiful, particularly the first one.

Enjoy Eliza she looks like a fun stitch and ideal for a "on the go" project.

I found the Last Runaway on Amazon. co.uk but am having trouble with the second book.

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Martha,
What beautiful antique samplers!! Love them! The other book Marsha talked about, The Last Runaway, can probably be found at the library. That's how I did it.
A good book!
Melinda

Krista said...

What gorgeous samplers!! Wonderful finds! I especially love the first one, it has such a lovely coloration and I love the basket motifs. So pretty!

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

The samplers are wonderful.

What a lovely name - Worthy Maria Pritchard. I did a little looking and found 3 men from this time period with the name Worthy Pritchard. I found one woman born in Connecticut and moved to Ohio. I found many a Maria Pritchard from the UK and USA.

Cindy L said...

Martha, what lovely samplers you have found. I also love the first one.