Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Thursday, 24 January 2013

Gifts!

Oh what a wondrous gift did appear in my mail box!
A huge hug and thanks to Nicola and her husband for the donation of the SL chart and yard of linen for January drawing.  I still can not believe it happened to me, it was so much fun to find that my name had been drawn.  I have my fingers crossed for everyone for the next drawing so you too can experience it.
The only draw back was having to choose the pattern and linen.  I'm sure your thinking  "what a silly person I would have no trouble picking", well you will know when it is your turn.  As it turned out I couldn't decide on the linen so I asked if I could get a kit instead Nicola kindly said that would be just fine and that the remaining amount would be put in a gift certificate that I could spend later. 
So I choose the WCEG kit and I am going to put the gift certificate towards The Manifesto when it comes out next month.  I'm still trying to decide if I am going to join the stitch along, it may come down to how much is done on The Huntsman.
Once I open up the kit I then began wondering if I should change the linen... see making up my mind is some times very trying, just ask my husband. 
The linen on the left is raw linen that came with the kit, then 18th Century Brown from R&R and the right hand linen is Parchment from Weeks.
I did ask my husband he said the Parchment with a little more distressing.  What do you like????
Here is the progress thus far on The Huntsman
Both horse and rider have legs!

I have one more tidbit of knowledge that I leaned this week.
While talking with my stitching pal I was complaining that Needlepoint silk is about the only silk I can stitch with because other brands always snag on my fingers.  I should tell you that I work in a soil testing lab and have my hands in dirt and water all day which makes my hands a mess.
She told me to use sugar scrub and silk will never be a problem again.
Off to the Internet to find recipes, there are many and they all sound wonderful, but I didn't have all the items in the house.  Then I happen on one that was just olive oil and sugar.  Fill palm of hand with white sugar and pour in some olive oil till it's a paste and scrub away, make sure to get around the nails.  Rinse hands with soap to get off the oil.
Well I'm off to try some of that new silk with my oh so soft hands.
Happy stitching to you all.

15 comments:

EvalinaMaria said...

I use 'Satin Hands' by Mary Kay and love it. My hands are always soft and smooth.

I definitely like Parchment from Weeks. I tried to stitch on the raw linen before and it was hard. It it just to dark. I chopped mine to use for ornaments.

Stitch Wizard said...

The Huntsman is really so beautiful already!! I just love the colors of this one too! Thank you about the sugar scrub! I am going to try that for my dry hands too!!

Nicola said...

Thank you for the sugar scrub tip. My hands are suffering in the cold weather we have in the UK at the moment so I am going to give this a try.

Wonderful progress on The Huntsman I have got the bug now for pictorials.

So pleased that your prize arrived so quickly. Have fun with stitching it.

Gabi said...

Out of the three fabrics I do like Parchment the best. Lovely color.
Thanks for the beauty tip. Might come in handy one day. I wrote that down. :)

Krista said...

Your Huntman is looking beautiful! I also like the Parchment fabric for the new proect. Thanks for the great tip for softening the hands, mine are always rough especially around the nails which is why I usually steer away from silks as they usually snag.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your stitching is looking great.
And the hand scrub is such a good idea I'm adding the link to our Hints and Tips page!

Erica near Chicago said...

The Huntsman is looking very good. I may need to add it to my "maybe someday" list.

Michele said...

Parchment. I think you will find the others too dark to work on long term and it will make it a chore rather than a pleasure. The parchment has a lovely mottled look as well. x

Lanie said...

Congratulations Carmen...looks like a great choice! I have to tell you I am loving your Huntsman! I am becoming obsessed with these pictorials!

Oh dear, it appears my to do list will be changing...I'm thinking a pictorial is next!

Lelia said...

Either ground would be lovely - a challenge to decide based on photo as computer monitor does muddy up the color. The lighter ground looks better per photo - and, i don't think i'd distress it, but that is just me.

I think both would be wonderful for that pattern.

Beautiful Huntsman!

Stitch well

Cindy L said...

Congratulations. I agree with the Parchment fabric. I like your progress on the Huntsman.

Kerri said...

You Lucky Girl! I agree with your hubby and seems like everyone else on Parchment. I don't enjoy stitching on raw linen but I never figured out why.

I also endorse the "Satin Hands" set by Mary Kay. A really nice scrub and lotion that I try to remember to use.

ilana kaye said...

I love the Huntsman and the classic jewel colors. Your work is looking wonderful.

Thank you for the info on the scrub. I have the same problem with my hands and the silk :)

Debbie said...

The huntsman looks lovely!
I'm looking forward to picking up a needle again and hope that one day I'll be able to create something just as nice!

I work with horses everyday and understand the rough skin issue only too well, - I'd recommend Honey Hand Cream for Gardeners, which is also non-greasy as well as making hands feel soft as silk again.

http://www.honeycosmetics.co.uk/hand-cream/gardeners-hand-cream

Fiona said...

Congratulations on your gift. I like the Parchment best, if that is any help. Silk threads are wonderful to work with and glad you found a solution for your hands.